How long does the test take?
The test is quick. It takes about 10 seconds.
How is the test done?
- The nurse or medical assistant confirms the patient’s name and date of birth.
- Vital signs (temperature, pulse and O2 saturation) are assessed on symptomatic patients.
- The patient is asked to blow their nose and tilt their head back.
- The swab is inserted into the nasopharyngeal cavity (nose) for approximately 10 seconds while rotating it several times.
- The swab is placed into the transport media container with the patient label.
Does the test hurt?
It feels uncomfortable for about 5-10 seconds. Your eyes may water, or you may feel like you have to sneeze.
Can I get COVID from the test?
No, all testing supplies are new, individually packaged, and not reused. The nurses performing the testing follow strict infection control practices.
How soon will I get my results?
Results are usually available within 24 -28 hours. The fastest way to get your results is to register for My Chart. This allows you to log on to the My Chart portal and see your results as soon as they are available.
How do I sign-up for My Chart?
Call the Health Center at 617.323.4440 and request a link to sign up for My Chart. A link will be sent to your phone. You can also speak to our My Chart specialists if you have questions.
How reliable is the test?
GRMDC uses a PCR based test which is the standard at all local labs and nationally. It is the most accurate test currently available that we are aware of. The test may be less sensitive in people without symptoms; however, we believe testing asymptomatic people (people with no symptoms) is still very important. If you develop symptoms after having a negative test (no virus detected), we recommend you repeat the test.
Do you test children?
Yes, we test kids of all ages.
How much does it cost?
Testing is free. Testing is available to anyone at no cost and regardless of symptoms.